Monday 20 April 2009

Wadrobe remix

The view from here, my wardrobe. The bright turquoise is my most recent bargain, a cashmere cardie, half price £30! COS as is...
This gorgeous stripey cotton jumper.
Last week I spent over 5 hours reorganising my clothes. I rolled and packed most of my wool and unpacked the cotton and linen and silk.
Because I had the luxury of an empty house I was able to really play around and try on different combinations. I do have too many clothes and so to keep it simple I removed all the brown, skirts trousers and tunics.
I will keep them and maybe work around them in a couple of years but for now My look book is looking like this.

I will wear these tops with thin or pegged cropped trousers.
My favourite new tops are top and bottom left. Both from COS, I have spent most of my money here this spring because they have finally started to make my size. I have always managed to fit into their cardies because they cut their knitwear more generously, but any thing more fitted has previously been a no no. I love COS They are a bit of a poor mans Marni mini me.


The rest of what you see comes from Muji, Jigsaw, Zara and Whistles the latter sadly not so affordable now. Other favourite places to shop include Kew, GAP The White Company and Id id manage to squeeze into a couple of Banana Republic pieces last year.
My skirts are generally from a more eclectic source including Toast, White Stuff and even a couple from H&M. The waist of their size 18 is 34 inches which is the same as a size 14 in M&S.
British sizing is a nightmare.
The bulk of inspiration comes from a scrap book I have assembled from various Internet sites including Flickr’s Wardrobe-remix, The Sartorialist and prêt a porter images from style.com. This scrap book is a mine of inspiration and according to the Guardian the tail is now firmly wagging the dog.
In these dark economic times, fashion labels and retailers are looking to the street for inspiration. There are two main factors in play. One: we're forced to get more creative with what we've got in our wardrobes; and two: we're much pickier about buying new things.
"What people buy and how they wear it is invaluable information for a retailer," says my trend mentor, WGSN's associate womenswear editor Kathryn Kenny. "Seeing real women wearing real clothes is very powerful, rather than looking at models on a catwalk." more here

and even more pertinently


What you see on the streets of Britain is us getting it right, being good at something. Street style is our gift to the world. from here


No comments: