Friday, 24 June 2011
then this,teachings grim reaper is on its way and so I will be committed to hours of needless paper work and for what? Will it make me a better teacher No.
Plus double cherry on top of my rain sodden cup cake is I now can no longer go to the RCA degree show on Wednesday, but I will get there trust me, where there's a will.....
Thursday, 23 June 2011
I am seriously getting old.
This sartorial creaminess was caught as I whipped around the BP portrait awards, most were as dry as dust and I will return later for a more leisurely meander. I can't see her .... well maybe she would, how would you know?
Wednesday, 22 June 2011
OK you have my undivided attention for a couple of hours, I appear to have lost a whole week somewhere, I finally realised it was June 21st yesterday, I truly thought we were on or around the 16th. Thar's a whole week of my life I've lost and have not a clue where. I last saw you Friday as I schlepped up town in the pouring rain. So those idiot journalists proclaiming from the media roof top A Drought Riddled Summer, I hope they rue that fuck up of a prediction. All they had to do was check to see when Wimbledon started, which if you throw in a slew of open air festivals including Glastonbury, you pretty much have a copper bottomed guarantee of rain, LOTS and LOTS of it too.
So too have joined the festival melee, by taking my sister to a concert in Hyde Park for her birthday. I normally go for something civilised but decided to play my 'still wish I were young' joker. So we too will be waist deep in the mire of mud, sucking flat cider through a straw and clutching the remains of a soggy hot dog. Sounds great, no?
After walking up to COS last Friday I lost the will to live and decamped to the bar for a bite to eat at Les Deux Salons. I was royally ripped off by the barman charging me double for my Martini. Bastard.
Dumb Bitch"A dry martini please"
Bastard Barman " Gin or Vodka"
Bastard Barman "Do you want a vodka martini or a gin one?"
Dumb Bitch " OK, Vodka"
Oldest trick in the book, Dumb Bitch asks for a martini, Bastard Barman upgrades it to a cocktail.
The food was delicious as usual, so I guess I shall look at it as a cover charge for staying dry whilst waiting for the play to begin.
I give Betrayal 3/5. Kristin Scott Thomas was excellent as was Ben Miles. The 'other one' was crap, I thought he'd forgotten his lines, but then I realised that was the way he acted. Pinter is never uplifting, but yet I am warming to his particular brand of duplicitous self flagellation.
COS? no, I spent an age trying on the whole shop. Torture no, but I did succumb to a mans T-shirt in an awesome indigo blue. It reminded me of Cornwall, where the sun never shines!,
Saturday I played shop my wardrobe, which was more fun than it sounds, as was pissing Emin off by failing to provide a cooked meal on the table after he had spent the entire day at his sisters house. I was quite cruel in pointing out that if he failed to communicate his desire for hot food then he only had himself to blame. Why should I play the 'marital second guess' when he never even tries?
He sucked it up like a trooper, which means he needs me to sign something.
I am now drowning in a sea of effing reports and external moderation and marking and, and and...
but guess what?
My sister didn't, so I feel wretched as the ticket was for Kitty plus moi, but maybe she will give it up for her favourite auntie!
The bizarre thing is I missed out on the football, how? Plus they were for Leyla who now has nothing, so I may try again next week. The whole thing has been a shambles really. Had it been like getting tickets for Richard II @ the Donmar WarehouseI would have done a lot better.
Sunday, 19 June 2011
Friday, 17 June 2011
The tide was out on Saturday and Leyla and I actually walked along the beach, I have never done that, sometimes it takes a child to make you see this place differently too.
Not an app' this time but a child's toy held over the lens.
Thursday, 16 June 2011
What I love about the resort collections is the amazing diversity of presentation images, they have almost become works of art in there own right, the above image taken from here is not resort but is in fact the dress I lovingly held and lusted after recently. The quality is astonishing so it is no surprise that this blog featured it recently. I love her style and whilst it looks simple it is very well cut, and so many of his clothes are creeping into my look book.
Wednesday, 15 June 2011
Tuesday, 14 June 2011
1. Grey cardigans you would think I would have grown out of that silly phase by now but on;y last Thursday was I fingering a lovely cropped cotton one in Noa Noa desperate to buy it but some how the thought of it joining 30 others just..just about stopped me, but it is still gnawing away at my Psyche so I am praying someone buys it by next week.
2. COS well what I can say ditto above, only the presence of my mother prevented me from buying yet another cotton shroud last week, the fact that I was going to bleed her for the meal later meant I could hardly rub a COS purchase in her face..could I?
3. House Porn, love it, if only I could live my life vicariously through the interior decor of others.
4. Bird song sad I know but is there a better sound?
5. London Yes, I did say these were old ones and pretty much half this blog is a love letter to the city I love most in the whole wide world, she may not be pretty, but she scratches all my itches.
6. Muse, no arguments THE BEST BAND EVER EVER EVER
7. Photographing flowers Since picking up the camera again I have failed to tire of this, and the introduction of apps has given me a whole new lease of life.
8. Tea & Toast has to be marmalade of granary bread, all washed down with tea in a glass, one of my weirder quirks is I like coffee in a mug, tea in a glass, marmalade on brown toast , apricot jam on white!
9. Spring THE best time of the year, now it's at an end I feel sad. SAD in the summer not good!
10.Cornwall Is there a better place to look forward to holidaying? OK, Hawaii might be up there too, but realistically.
2a Clinique Lipstick the best by a country mile for me and trust me I have truly been around the blog with lipsticks
2b. Liz Earle again no slouch in the beauty tart department I will trade up for the price of the above, but recently these products have taken hold and I am liking them a lot.
3. Travelling anywhere by train, since giving up my car I have been forced to use trains more and more and as I do I must confess to loving it, especially that view, no matter how industrial, framed by the window it will always have a sense of romance to me.
4. Desert Island Discs pod casts OMG seriously I just love them, what makes them doubly amazing apart from hearing peoples voices, (you can learn so much from a voice) what makes them perfect is the music has been cut for copyright reasons, they are so much more bearable once you ditch the Dylan!
5. Lomo & Hipstomatic apps just how much more fun does it get
6. Painting sadly not the walls of my house but on raw unprimed linen, just moving the oils across the surface gives me pleasure
7. Magazines, I can't imagine a single one of you has been with me for the full 5 year stretch, if you had you would think this was old news, but magazines and I had a bit of a falling out and they lost there lustre, it seems I was not looking in the right places and I am now very much liking quirkier publications like the amazing apartmento as well as some of the more esoteric glossies like POP
8. Photographing people, I never would have thought it but over the last 5 years I have almost shunned The View From Here to wholly focusing on capturing people.
9. Theatre, how high brow am I? Sorry, but I love it, never tire of watching the real deal.
10 Eating standing up....why? I really don't know but food just tastes better on the hoof! trust me the Germans are brilliant at it too!
Why are these paragraphs so spread out? WHY, WHY, WHY does this idiot blogger do that? It does it with images too. I love blogger to bits yet the simplest of things seem beyond it's capabilities, I spend hours backspacing! now a list on 10 dislikes that I can do in a flash!
So I know I need to tag one sensible one
And just for fun
The Sartorialist I just have this wonderful vision of him scratching his chin contemplating whether to list creases in his jeans V turn ups? Button down collars V double cuffs?
Sunday, 12 June 2011
Whilst the earthiness of Rover Thomas's colours are very traditional, these paintings show the exuberance of colour now many of the artists have access to polymer paints.
Saturday, 11 June 2011
Friday, 10 June 2011
Seriously, I am good at living in the present, I love it and try hard not to waste a minute, it's mostly about self gratification, looking forward to my morning coffee, catching up on iplayer, my current new squeeze is Desert Island Discs, you can catch pod casts of the last 50+ years they are awesome. Yes, I visit galleries, go to plays, walk, take photographs incessantly and believe it or not, I know I make it look effortless, but this blog takes some effort too. All living in the present as well as just doing enough not to lose my job.
I made the mistake recently of telling my mother that we were looking to move to a bigger house, "why?" she enquired...I then explained Emin's ridiculous plan about bunking up with his sister to save some cash to secure them a better financial future and us too. God did she rant, going off on one of her bitter little diatribes, on and on and on. I could not at any point be bothered to point out that there is more to life than rattling around a large house that I am out of most of the time living, and that I'm using the inconvenience to do an MA. I also wanted to scream at her that when she was my age she and my savant father had lost their life savings and remortgaged the house all on a bloody restaurant. At my age she was beginning again, yes, well done, but really? Was it well done? To then have to slog your guts out for nearly 20 more years just to get to where I am now, because Mommie dearest I am on my home straight, I have a light at the end of my tunnel, short term pain for a long and hopefully fruitful retirement not hamstrung by money worries or wondering where my next conversation might come from.
And, just in case he does fuck off with some one needing a British passport like my savant father I have had the presence to save for myself enough money to live on anyway. So there!
Now where was I? Dreaming of sunny climes and planning for the gulag in Cyprus. I have recently been very distracted by this blog which is where these images are from. I have figured that as the roof is now on I should preempt any further work on the gulag with a look book to avoid the Formica tiled hell that we presently endure, retro living is fine in pictures but grates to live with. So I give you my favourite kitchen for Cyprus, he loves it too, so this will be our model. The next two images of bathroom's he is less sure of since a 'finish' on any surface is challenging for Cypriot workmen but I think we could give it a try..no?