Tuesday 17 November 2009

The view from here

Driving to Crawley for Leyla's competition we passed through some amazing sky's as dawn broke. We have to be there for 8am despite the fact they do not fight until after 11am.


After Friday's storms the trees are nearly stripped naked now.

I am a very happy passenger, I am very lazy and prefer to let others drive, I find driving quite stressful especially in London where everyone seems to want to be somewhere yesterday. My sister says I drive like an old lady and frankly I am happy to be that way.
I learnt to drive very late. It was only after having Kitty that I could not face using public transport with two children under the age of 3. I do not think it is much easier now, but then you had to collapse the buggy, which when you are trying to coax a recalcitrant 3 year old to behave plus grapple with the greasy maggot that was Kitty getting on a bus was way too stressful. So I bit the bullet and passed my test. From day one I felt like I was driving a loaded weapon, I always expect the worst, but despite a prang or two my few years behind the wheel have been uneventful.
I did for the first few years drive around England a lot. I hate being in the house and loved the freedom of the open road, I would take Daisy and Kitty to the seaside or for walks in the country. Now petrol is too expensive and I can no longer afford a car. but sometimes it is nice to sit back and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

Love that middle shot -- are those raindrops on the camera lens or on the car window?
I can be a happy passenger as well and I also love driving in many circumstances -- NOT in new cities and I doubt I'd ever be able to enjoy driving anywhere near London. I drove in England 8 or 9 years ago, picking up a car near Heathrow and driving up to Yorkshire with my daughter as navigator -- yikes!!