Thursday 2 September 2010

Picasso at the Gagosian

Sometimes even when you think you have seen all there is to see of a particular artist a piece of work will surface that just blows your socks off. I have seen innumerable Picasso exhibitions and I love his work, his lust for life and the way he creates something out of nothing.
Yes, as father, husband and lover he was flawed but as an artist he has been a constant source of inspiration. I loved this exhibition and was really disappointed that the catalogue despite the hefty price tag of £70 had sold out before it came to London.
I pray they reprint it because it is full of wonderful imagery including photographs of Picasso working in his studio. This painting was my favourite from the exhibition, I love the muted colours and the way they are almost washed on and layered.
I did laugh to see the frosty gallerina's had been demoted to hat check girls whilst a very gregarious intern was manning the desk!

3 comments:

materfamilias said...

Again, reminded that we should have got to this, damnit!
Love the colours in that painting -- gorgeous inspiration for dressing!

Somewhere in Provence, I think, about 20 years ago, I saw an exhibit that included many of Picasso's drawings -- that was revelatory to me at the time, even though I knew it shouldn't be such a big deal, to see how "realist" the sketches were, not cubist at all. . . I mean, of course he wouldn't be cubing up the world all the time, of course he could draw wonderfully accurate depictions of what was in front of him, but it still surprised me.

La Belette Rouge said...

When ever I get the cold shoulder from a 'Frosty Gallerina" I comfort myself by knowing just how little they are getting paid. That job is all cache and no cash. It is Larry Gagosian that is getting all the green.
p.s. Sorry, I know my comment is off topic. To respond to the topic: I am green with envy! I love that panting.

indigo16 said...

Mater his reputation is well earned, it is the sheer breadth of his work that is true genius.
Belette, I know they are paid so little I have often toyed with having a go myself during a holiday just to see what it would be like!