Tuesday 7 September 2010

They call it Hüzün

A wonderful word Orhan Pamuk uses in his book to describe melancholy, which is currently fairly apt. I have just finished his book Memories of a City which is one of the best books I have read for some time, so much so I have just ordered The Museum of Innocence.
Other reasons for my melancholic mood? Daisy is leaving on Saturday, I keep welling up at the thought of this. I know it is the best thing that could have happened but it is a very strange feeling knowing she will go so soon.
Finally, and so sad, but a student of mine died in the holiday. No one knows why, it seem she was in Iran at the time but having taught her for 3 years it feels strange to think she will not return, So although I feel sad it makes me realise how lucky I am.

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

I'm so sorry about your student -- I imagine her absence will be a real presence in the classroom for some time, both for you and for her classmates.
And I understand how much you'll miss Daisy -- losing such a great Shakespeare companion, for one thing! But you'll have such interesting things to talk about when you do get together on school leaves, etc., right?

I'm going to order that book -- I've been meaning to read him forever and this is just the prod I need to get to it. Thanks!