Thursday 6 December 2007

Katie Clemson





Kay (Katie) Clemson, artist, teacher and sailor, born November 14 1949; died November 23 2007

Elected to the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers in 1992, Clemson was active within the society and sat on its council. Vigorous and energetic, always full of ideas, she had the energy and will to see them through to fruition. In 2005 she curated an exhibition at Bankside Gallery called The Artist and Radio 4. "The life of the working artist is mostly solitary. Hours are spent in concentrated, contemplative work. For years I've cut, printed and burnished to a background of Woman's Hour, plays, comedy, shipping forecasts and of course The Archers," she remarked. "All have filtered in somewhere, and although not consciously listening, I have somehow heard. I sometimes see a work of mine in a house or a gallery and can vividly recall what was playing when I was putting the third colour on, or cutting the main block."

In my recent post No Music Day I referred to artists that work whilst listening to Radio 4 because I had been to the above exhibition and enjoyed the link that bound the artists together. It was a very strong exhibition brilliantly curated. So it was a bit of a shock to see this obituary today. As so often happens with me I have a flash back and then I will read about about the same thing within the week, not deja vu exactly but weird all the same.

No comments: