Tuesday 11 December 2007

Reality check

This
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/beauty/article3029451.ece
"I’m not saying that I’m the greatest prize out there, but at least I’d put on a clean shirt, shaved and brushed my teeth. Sophie tumbled into the house looking like a refugee from Hurricane Katrina. She smelt like the R&D lab at Philip Morris. Her outfit was about as sexy as a half-pound of ground meat. And, surely, the only time she’d seen the inside of a gym was to ask directions to the nearest pub. I was hurt that my friends thought I’d be remotely interested in Sophie. Even more insulting was when my friend’s wife pointedly said: “Tad, I hear you just sold a screenplay to the producers of My Big Fat Greek Wedding.” I could not believe it. She was selling ME to HER!? I sat there watching Sophie tuck into a second huge plate of shepherd’s pie and realised why no self-respecting American girl consumes carbohydrates after 2pm. I’m not surprised Sophie was having trouble finding a boyfriend. Regardless of whether she was interested in me or not, she was unwittingly sabotaging her own chances with any man. "
Have you ever read anything more cruel and, more importantly so clumsily written? (this blog excepted)
and then this
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/india_knight/article3022116.ece
Are these some of the worst examples of slightly muddled over generalisations you will ever hope to read? I suspect so, but worse they are both from the Times not a red top where they belong.
In answer to the former article, a man so swayed by the shallowness of looks deserves to remain single and childless for the rest of his life because if that's what he thinks is important in life what signal would he ever send to his children.
As for the latter, again, too over sensationalised "The days of smoking behind the bike shed to indicate your free and rebellious spirit are long gone – today’s young rebel is more likely to be swallowing cotton wool and tracing shapes on herself with a penknife, ably assisted by a culture that sometimes actively encourages such self-destruction."
I teach a broad cross section of girls and this is not the case, they obsess about hair and music and clothes, most just want to eat because the appetite of a teenager is rarely satiated. A few over indulge or at the other extreme don't, but this is not because their mothers obsess about food, its much more a reflection of deeper issues within the fabric of the child and the family.
In my experience my mother and her sister both worried constantly about their weight all that concerned me was finding and eating food, their concerns had little or no impact on my desire for food. I have tried never to raise the "D" word at home but I will not hesitate to preach about healthy eating and to eat all things in moderation. I think before people make such generalisations about children they should maybe talk to more than just a handful of relations and friends siblings.

No comments: