Wednesday 7 November 2007

Just a thought

In Mondays media guardian Alice Wignall examined "our obsession with retro magazines and our ambivalence towards current titles" an issue that I occasionally bleat on about, she finishes with "magazines today play it safe at the risk of being bland which is maybe why they are being left on the shelf" The article celebrates a Cosmopolitan retrospective collection, out just in time for Christmas of course, just like Jackie, last years best selling retro book. I did not buy Cosmo' but read a friends back issues, not enough fashion for my liking but some fairly radical journalism instead. If you are feeling jaded check out the wardrobe of Boboniaa (see below) for an uplifting visual treat. I think magazines can turn the corner if they can broaden there material, embrace the unique and feature something new. For example most fashion magazines will go big on certain designers Vuitton, Versace, Dior etc yet sometimes but rarely feature Cacherel, Kenzo, Ann Demeulemeester, Vanessa Bruno. You will see more Top Shop than Noa Noa more Jonathan Aston than Falke, Advertising speaks lets hope there is a better balance round the corner.

1 comment:

materfamilias said...

What a fabulous website -- I've come to it having checked my statcounter and wondering where so many readers were coming from -- you, apparently, and Thoughtful Dresser -- and I see you've got me on your blogroll as a daily read. I'm hugely gratified. Thanks! (I'll be adding you to my own blogroll when I get a minute -- and not just on the basis of your insistence on wearing a black leather jacket post 40!)