Monday 4 February 2008

Paris comes to Bond Street


Via Lalique


I had an hour to kill before meeting my sister and going to the exhibition. So I wandered up Bond St and then across to Cos and Jigsaw. The skirts in Cos were either 3 inches above the knee or three millimetres above ground level which seems an unnecessary trick to play on us oldies. I succumbed to a cardigan in Cos, I could have bought a lot more in Jigsaw, but I have blown my fashion, beauty and book budget for this month on a 3 day trip to Paris with Kitty at Easter. Over Easter E is in Istanbul & Cyprus with Leyla, Daisy is off Skiing again, so poor Kitty gets a week in Wales with the oldies. So as a treat I have booked a couple of nights in the Marais district. The exhibition was brilliant, 70 galleries represented and a lot of interesting new artists, watch this space. The meal at Arbutus was sublime as always, we decided to move on down Frith St for coffee and ended up in bar Italia, I ordered 2 lattes and was charged a whopping £8! They were not even very nice, tepid milk and barely a whiff of coffee, how does this place justify that kind of price? so to dispel the disappointment we descended into a wine cellar straight out of Georgian England and polished off half a bottle of St Emillion. What made this so brilliant was normally after such a jaunt my clothes would stink of smoke but now nothing, I am smoke free, in fact most pubs in London have taken to placing large vases of flowers on the bar instead. Its great.

No comments: